17th February 2014 – Common health questions: weight
If you want to lose weight or manage your weight better, and need help to get started or stay on track, look for good, evidence-based information and advice about diet and exercise, from websites with the Information Standard. And take advantage of the free support on offer locally to help you develop healthier eating habits and get more active.
NHS and other websites
- NHS Choices includes: a 12 week weight loss guide; a review of the most popular diets; healthy recipes and food swaps; information about calories, body shape, carbohydrates, food labels and much more.
- Change4Life offers ideas, tips and advice to help you and your family be more active every day.
- Weightwise from the British Dietetic Association includes a weight loss plan for adults.
- Walking for Health helps you find health walks in your area.
Local services and support
Free weight management programmes for adults and children are available in:
- Bradford district: ring 01274 435387;
- Pendle: ring 01282 661226.
Exercise referral schemes for people with specific medical conditions are available through your GP:
- BEEP in Bradford district: ring 01274 435388;
- Fit4Life in Craven: ring 01756 792805;
- Fit4Life in Pendle: ring 01282 661226.
Other support on offer includes:
- Health trainers in Bradford district: help with weight, exercise, healthy eating and wellbeing. Ring 01274 777527.
- Community health champions in Bradford district: volunteers who lead walks, relaxation sessions, and other social groups and activities. Ring 01274 321911.
- Walking for health groups in Skipton, and north and south Craven.
- Out and about in Pendle: health walks and guided cycling. Ring 01282 661228.
- All of the services offered by the Healthy Lifestyles Team at Pendle Leisure Trust are covered in this booklet.
Audio, video, easy read and other languages
NHS Choices includes:
- 42 videos on fitness topics and 23 videos on healthy eating and weight.
- 10-minute workout videos.
- Couch to 5k running plan podcasts to download from iTunes.
- There easy read leaflets on exercise and food on the Easyhealth website.
- You can translate information on the NHS Choices website using Google Translate. Look for the link in the top right hand corner.
Online tools and mobile apps
- There lots of handy tools on NHS Choices, including: BMI healthy weight calculator; 5 a day meal planner; healthy eating self assessment; couch to 5k running plan; height and weight chart.
- The NHS Choices health apps library features trusted and safe apps to help you manage your weight.
- Patient UK has a MyHealth tool, sign up to test how healthy you are; set goals; and track your progress across areas including weight, BMI, exercise levels and diet.