Complaints and Concerns

If you are not happy with any aspect of our care or healthcare services, please ask to speak to a senior member of staff or the ward or department manager who will make every effort to help you and resolve your concern.

If you need to speak with someone about your concern outside these hours, a senior nurse or hospital site manager is always available.

Please ask staff to contact switchboard on your behalf to put you in touch with the senior person on duty.

The Trust’s Complaints Handling policy is available here:

Complaint Handling Policy May 2017

If you still wish or would prefer to make a formal complaint, please contact:

Brendan Brown (Chief Executive)
Airedale NHS Foundation Trust
Airedale General Hospital
Skipton Road
West Yorkshire
BD20 6TD

Or you can telephone 01535 294019 for advice.

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, the Text Relay Service can be used to contact us. Dial 18001 followed by the contact number.

You can also email us at:

We assure you that by raising a concern with the Trust it will not adversely affect your ongoing care or that of the patient about whom you are raising concerns.

Whoever investigates your complaint will be careful to ensure that any information about you is kept strictly confidential. The allocated investigator will be an employee of the Trust who works at a senior level within the organisation and will not have been involved in the direct care and treatment of the patient.

In the circumstance where you received your NHS care and treatment in a non-NHS facility on behalf of Airedale NHS Foundation Trust then your concern will be dealt with by Airedale NHS Foundation Trust. Therefore we request you contact us via the details provided.

Bradford & District Complaints Advocacy
Post: Rooms 21-29, 1st floor, The Tradeforce Building, Cornwall Place, Bradford, BD8 7JT
Telephone: 01274 770118

Cloverleaf Complaints Advocacy (for North Yorkshire residents only)
Post: Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service, Cloverleaf Academy, 1 Devonshire Court, Green Lane Trading Estate, Clifton, York, YO30 5PQ
Telephone:  0300 012 4212

Lancashire Advocacy Hub (for Lancashire residents only)
Telephone: 03300 022200

Advonet: Leeds Independent Health Complaints Advocacy
Post: Advonet, Unity Business Centre, 26 Roundhay Road, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS7 1AB
Telephone: 0113 244 0606

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can complain?

Anyone who is receiving or has received NHS treatment or services can complain. If you are unable to do so yourself then someone else (usually a close relative or friend) can complain for you. You may be asked to confirm that your relative or friend has your permission to pursue a problem on your behalf, especially if it involved confidential information about yourself or your treatment.

When should I complain?

It is best to raise your concern as soon as possible after the problem occurs. The NHS complaints procedure specifies time limits for making a formal complaint. The complaint should be made:

  • within six months of the event; or

  • within six months of you realising that you have something to complain about, provided this is not more than twelve months after the event itself.

There are some circumstances beyond these time limits where we may agree to investigate your concerns.

What we will do?

We will:

  • try and speak with you within three days of receipt of your letter to discuss how to proceed with the complaint

  • send you an acknowledgement letter

  • investigate all issues raised by your complaint

  • aim to provide you with a full written explanation, verbal information, or meet with you and respond to your complaint within the time scale agreed with you

  • inform you if more time is needed

  • share where lessons have been learnt with you

Often a telephone conversation or a meeting can go a long way towards a quick resolution of problems.

How will we respond to your complaint?

We are committed to making every effort to resolve your complaint as quickly as possible. We will:

  • respond with respect, fairness and confidentiality

  • ensure you continue to receive high standards of care from our hospital

  • identify improvements in our services where necessary

  • work within a culture of openness

  • ensure everyone is treated equally

If you require your response translated into another language or made available in an alternative format, please let us know and we will do our very best to help you.

If you do not feel satisfied with your response?

Please contact us as soon as possible. We will make every effort to resolve the complaint to your satisfaction. This may involve a meeting or further investigation and another written response.

What if you are still unhappy?

If you are still dissatisfied you can ask the Health Service Commissioner (Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman) to investigate your case. The Ombudsman is completely independent of both the NHS and the Government and investigates complaints not only about NHS services, but also how the complaints procedure is working. The Ombudsman is not obliged to investigate every complaint submitted and will not generally take on a case unless it has been through the full NHS complaints procedure. Their service is free.

You may also contact the Care Quality Commission in order to inform them of concerns you may have about the way in which your complaint has been processed and handled.

Will this procedure cost anything?

The whole of the Complaints Procedure, including the Ombudsman service, is free.

To view the Trust’s complaints reports please click here.