Now that we have the first vaccine that has been rigorously tested and confirmed as safe and highly effective, the NHS is starting to offer vaccines to those who are at most risk from Covid-19.
At the moment, the vaccine can only be offered from a few hospital ‘hubs’ across the country where it can be stored safely. Patients aged 80 and above who are already attending these hospitals as an outpatient or being discharged after a hospital stay will be among the first to receive a vaccination. Vaccines will also be offered to people who work in care homes and health and care workers who are at high risk of catching Covid-19.
This is based on the guidance from the Joint Committee for Vaccinations and Immunisations.
We will be offering the vaccine to more people and at other locations as soon as possible. These will include local vaccine services provided by GPs and pharmacists, in people’s homes if they can’t come to us and new dedicated vaccination centres to make sure that everyone who needs a vaccine is able to get one.
We know lots of people will be eager to get protected but you will be invited for a vaccine when it’s your turn so you do not need to contact your practice or the NHS.
This will be the largest vaccination programme in the history of the NHS and you can really help us to deliver it to those that need it most by doing the following:
- Please don’t contact the NHS to seek a vaccine – we will contact you when it’s the right time.
- When we do contact you, please act immediately and make sure you attend your appointments.
- Please continue to follow all the guidelines – hand hygiene and social distancing in particular – to control the virus and save lives.
For more information about the vaccine, please visit www.nhs.uk or download the patient information leaflets on the following topics, which are available on the West Yorkshire & Harrogate Health & Care Partnership website.
- Covid-19 vaccination – a guide for adults
- Covid-19 vaccination – a guide for those currently pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding
- What to expect after your Covid-19 vaccination
- Why do I have to wait for my Covid-19 vaccine?