Skip to main content

Adult Speech and Language Therapy

Adult Speech and Language Therapy

Home > Therapy Services > Adult Speech and Language Therapy


“To give everybody the opportunity to communicate to the best of their ability”

Speech and Language Therapy Services provide evidence-based care that responds to the needs of children, young people and adults who experience speech, language and communication or eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.

The Speech and Language Therapist works in partnership with these patients, and their families, other agencies and professionals to reduce the impact of these difficulties on the patient’s well-being and ability to participate in daily life.

The team work to assess, diagnose, design and deliver care packages to children, young people and adults with speech, language and communication difficulties and to maximise their potential to communicate and ensure the safety, health and well-being of those clients with eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.

Location Can be found on Zone A and Zone D


How long will I have to wait to see the Speech & Language Therapist?

That depends very much on the problem and on the information the referrer provides. As soon as we receive the referral we will contact you and let you know how long you will have to wait before your first appointment with the Speech & Language Therapist.

What will happen on the first visit?

At your first appointment, the Speech & Language Therapist will discuss any concerns you may have. An assessment may include conversation and possibly some more formal testing, appropriate to you/your child.

Where can I be seen for Speech and Language Therapy

You may be seen as an outpatient at Airedale General Hospital or possibly at home if you are elderly/have mobility problems. Children may be seen at their nursery/school setting or in a clinic setting nearest to their home. Paediatric clinics and “Drop-In” sessions for 0-6 years are held at a range of community settings see

I / my family cannot speak English very well. Could we have an interpreter?

Your referrer will have let us know which language you speak. Bilingual Support Workers who speak Sylheti Bengali (Bangla) and Mirpuri/Punjabi/Urdu are part of the Speech & Language Therapy team and work with the Speech & Language Therapists. We also use the hospital Interpreting service.

Do you work with people who stammer

Yes, we work with all ages from young children to adults. Therapy is provided in a variety of ways: individual appointments, working with parents, carers and schools and group activities.

It is important that young children are seen by a Speech & Language Therapist as soon as there is concern about stammering because there is evidence that this early access to advice is most likely to result in improvement. You may find the leaflet Helping the child who stammers useful

What does swallowing have to do with speech therapy?

The same physical structures and muscles are used in eating and swallowing as in speech. Therefore Speech & Language Therapists have the skills and knowledge to assess and advise people with swallowing problems.

My voice sometimes 'goes' and I cannot speak for a day or so. Should I do something about it?

Yes! Probably nothing to worry about – it may be that you are over using your voice. However, you should make an appointment to see your GP and tell him/her about the problems. Your GP may refer you to an Ear, Nose and Throat Consultant (ENT). Once the Consultant has seen you, he/she will refer you to the Speech & Language Therapist, if he/she thinks this will help with the problem.

My partner is a little forgetful and increasingly cannot think of the names of people, places and objects. He is quite frustrated by this. Should it be investigated or is it just old age?

A slight forgetfulness is common as we age, as are occasional problems in recalling names of people or places. These mild difficulties are not usually enough to interfere with our lives. More significant memory loss or regular difficulties in thinking of the names of people, places or objects is not a normal part of growing older and should always be investigated. See your GP initially and if necessary a referral may be made to a more specialist team including a Speech & Language Therapist.

The Team (SLT)

We are a team of Speech and Language Therapists who are all registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Central to the speech and language therapy team are the clinical support workers and our secretarial team. Some of our clinical support workers are bilingual in Urdu, Punjabi and Bangla.

Adult Team (SLT)

The adult team works with a wide range of individuals with speech, language, communication and swallowing difficulties resulting from:

  • Stroke
  • Parkinson’s Disease
  • Dementia
  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Huntington’s Disease
  • Motor Neurone Disease
  • Head Injury
  • Other neurological disorder
  • Brain Tumour
  • Head and Neck Cancer
  • Voice Disorders
  • Palliative/End of Life Care
  • Tracheostomies
  • Mental Health Disorders
  • Post-Surgery
  • Respiratory Conditions
  • Stammering

We work in both hospital and community settings to provide the most appropriate care for your needs.
We are committed to providing evidence based practice and patient centred care.

Where to find us:
We are based primarily at Airedale General Hospital. You will find our department on Level 1 situated between the Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Departments.

How to contact us:
Telephone: 01535293641

Address: Speech and Language Therapy Department, Airedale General Hospital, Skipton Rd, Steeton, BD206TD.

Referrals – adult team

How to refer to the Adult Team

Inpatient referral for swallowing problems

Please discuss concerns with the medical team involved and follow the sip test algorithm before referral. To refer for a Speech and Language swallowing assessment please complete the below referral form and FAX to the Speech and Language Therapy team.

Inpatient referral for communication problems

As above, please discuss concerns with the medical team involved. Please use the same referral form for assessment of communication skills and FAX to the Speech and Language Therapy team.

Community Referral for swallowing and communication problems

Please contact your Consultant/GP/community nursing team to discuss your concerns. He/she will refer you to the Speech & Language Therapy service at Airedale General Hospital to request a swallowing and/or communication assessment if appropriate. For further information on how to refer please contact the main Speech & Language Therapy service on 01535 293641. The service is also on the Choose & Book system.

Community Referrals for voice problems

Voice changes that persist should be discussed with your GP. He/she may refer you to see an ENT Consultant in the first instance. After you initial appointment to see the ENT Consultant he/she may decide to refer you on to the Speech & Language Therapy service at Airedale General Hospital for further voice assessment.

Community Referral for Stammering

If you would like to be seen, there is no need for your GP or other health professional to refer you; you can simply refer yourself by contacting our stammering specialist:

Stephanie Burgess
Speech and Language Therapist
Clinical Lead for Stammering
Ilkley Coronation Hospital
01943 609666 /07789 945586

Go to our Stammering page

Useful Documents and Meal Leaflets