How long will I have to wait to see the Speech & Language Therapist?
That depends very much on the problem and on the information the referrer provides. As soon as we receive the referral we will contact you and let you know how long you will have to wait before your first appointment with the Speech & Language Therapist.


What will happen on the first visit?
At your first appointment, the Speech & Language Therapist will discuss any concerns you may have. An assessment may include conversation and possibly some more formal testing, appropriate to you/your child.


Where can I be seen for Speech and Language Therapy
You may be seen as an outpatient at Airedale General Hospital or possibly at home if you are elderly/have mobility problems. Children may be seen at their nursery/school setting or in a clinic setting nearest to their home. Paediatric clinics and “Drop-In” sessions for 0-6 years are held at a range of community settings see 
I / my family cannot speak English very well. Could we have an interpreter?
Your referrer will have let us know which language you speak. Bilingual Support Workers who speak Sylheti Bengali (Bangla) and Mirpuri/Punjabi/Urdu are part of the Speech & Language Therapy team and work with the Speech & Language Therapists. We also use the hospital Interpreting service.
Do you work with people who stammer
Yes, we work with all ages from young children to adults. Therapy is provided in a variety of ways: individual appointments, working with parents, carers and schools and group activities.

It is important that young children are seen by a Speech & Language Therapist as soon as there is concern about stammering because there is evidence that this early access to advice is most likely to result in improvement. You may find the leaflet Helping the child who stammers useful 


What does swallowing have to do with speech therapy?
The same physical structures and muscles are used in eating and swallowing as in speech. Therefore Speech & Language Therapists have the skills and knowledge to assess and advise people with swallowing problems.


My voice sometimes 'goes' and I cannot speak for a day or so. Should I do something about it?
Yes! Probably nothing to worry about – it may be that you are over using your voice. However, you should make an appointment to see your GP and tell him/her about the problems. Your GP may refer you to an Ear, Nose and Throat Consultant (ENT). Once the Consultant has seen you, he/she will refer you to the Speech & Language Therapist, if he/she thinks this will help with the problem.


My partner is a little forgetful and increasingly cannot think of the names of people, places and objects. He is quite frustrated by this. Should it be investigated or is it just old age?
A slight forgetfulness is common as we age, as are occasional problems in recalling names of people or places. These mild difficulties are not usually enough to interfere with our lives. More significant memory loss or regular difficulties in thinking of the names of people, places or objects is not a normal part of growing older and should always be investigated. See your GP initially and if necessary a referral may be made to a more specialist team including a Speech & Language Therapist.